July 07, 2026

Sightlines


 I sit comfortably chaired with one leg dangling over the other knee

sipping an iced brew succulent as a summer cherry.

He comes from my right, glaring at the movement of my eyes

as I notice shiny Florsheim loafers standing out against his ragged bottom,

encrusted street-stained jeans no longer blue.

Our eyes meet. 

“Like what you see?” says he sarcastically with a deepening scowl.

I bow - not to honor, but to hide.

 

I watch as he comes, moments later, from my left with a quickened pace.

Our eyes again meet.

He strides by, a silent scowl intact

turning squarely, carrying only his thoughts.

I bow - not to honor, but to hide. 

2 comments:

  1. Powerful image and poem, my friend. I do relate to the bow as I have done and do the same. I enjoyed and am enriched by our conversations at the coffee shop. I hope you have a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monte. I was surprised by how the encounter traveled with me over a week's time.

      Delete